New Zealand Cleaned Squid Tubes $12.95
New Zealand Squid tubes are suitable for all cooking styles whether crumbed and deep fried, stir fried, added to marinara or stuffed and baked.
SALT & PEPPER SQUID
3/4 cup rice flour
2 tsp Natural Sea Salt, freshly ground
2 tsp Ground White Pepper
Whole Black Peppercorns, freshly ground
500g squid tubes
5 cups peanut or vegetable oil
1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- Place the rice flour, Sea Salt and Ground White Pepper in a bowl.
- Grind over Black Peppercorns and mix well.
- With a sharp knife, slice the squid tubes lengthways so they open like a book.
- Dry well with a paper towel.
- If the tubes are particularly large, cut them in half across the width.
- Score the inside in a 0.5cm criss-cross pattern, then cut them into 1cm strips, cutting down the length of the squid.
- Toss the strips in the seasoned flour until they are heavily coated.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, wok or deep fryer until hot.
- Deep fry the squid in small batches for 1 – 2 minutes until crisp and golden but still tender.
- Drain, then place on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Toss with fresh chilli slices and serve immediately.